HOW IT ALL STARTED: THE HISTORY OF HOTEL ØSTERPORT
Hotel Østerport was founded by Henrik Tholstrup in 1947. It was just after the Second World War when the entrepreneurial businessman and prior dairy farmer saw a growing need for more hotel capacity in the city centre. He therefore bought up the prior army barracks, which during the war was used as necessity lodges for the Allies.
Back then, the official name of the address was Østerbrogade, but this was since changed to Oslo Square in 1962. In the ‘60s, the hotel was regarded as a bit of a hot spot where people went to have fun, drinking beers and partying with friends whilst enjoying the opportunity to go anywhere with a train station just next-door.
In 1981, the renowned Danish chef Erwin Lauterbach opened Restaurant Saison in Hotel Østerport. For eight years he enthralled his guests with his French-inspired cuisine. Among them were some of the greatest contemporary painters such as Jørgen Nash, who he sometimes offered his full-star menu in return for a piece of art.
Over the years, the hotel has undergone several major renovations and additions. Most recently in 1990, when the beautiful lobby was introduced giving the old historic buildings a new modern twist.